And so begins my voyage of discovery into the world of bull**** fitness...
I have no idea how or why any person would ever consider buying this thing. First of all, anyone using this contraption looks completely and totally ridiculous. Now, I have no problems getting weird looks from my fellow gym-goers. But that's because I know for a fact that my moves physically accomplish something for me. With this Shake Weight, I'm just not sure that I see the light...
I will give this product the benefit of the doubt, in that it does accomplish a high number of "reps" throughout your "workout". This is, however, completely overlooking the range of motion on each rep (2 inches, maybe...). Here's the way I see it: take any other exercise you can think of (but please, for the sweet love of all that's holy, make it a semi-functional movement). Let's go with your standard barbell back squat, a movement that is as functional as functional could ever hope to be, and an exercise that any and all trainers worth their salt know to include in any weight training program.
Now, pretend you're in the gym warming up. You look over on the squat rack and see some musclehead reliving his high school football glory days doing quarter squats with only the bar on his back. You watch him go through his workout. He's cranking out these quarter squats quite fast, about one every second. He does 1,000 reps. Does that mean his movement is doing anything for him? Sure, doing 1,000 quarter-squats at a 60/min pace will make even the fittest athlete break a sweat. But does that mean that these criteria ("Dude, I did 1,000 reps" and "Dude, look how much I'm sweating") make his workout good?
I contend that it does not, on the simple basis that if he were to go through the entire range of motion with the barbell on his back and with the same intensity as he had been going before, 100 FULL squats would easily accomplish the same result (if not more so). More muscles get pulled into the move. More muscle fiber gets activated. Greater ROM = greater results.
Is the Shake Weight's ROM anything close to full? Hell no. Is the Shake Weight going to help you get in better shape? Hellllllll no. Is there a possibility that you'll break a sweat shaking this ridiculous excuse for a bumbbell? Hells maybe... Is there a 100% guarantee that you'll look, feel, and be foolish for using this glorified salt shaker? Yes, yes, oh 1,000 times YES!!!
For all of you wondering just what this damn thing might be good for, here's the hidden agenda of the men behind the Shake Weight design (warning: not really W/FS)...
*As a public service announcement, please, if you see somebody at the gym quarter-squatting, tell them to either go deeper or leave so you can squat to the proper depth.*
I have no idea how or why any person would ever consider buying this thing. First of all, anyone using this contraption looks completely and totally ridiculous. Now, I have no problems getting weird looks from my fellow gym-goers. But that's because I know for a fact that my moves physically accomplish something for me. With this Shake Weight, I'm just not sure that I see the light...
I will give this product the benefit of the doubt, in that it does accomplish a high number of "reps" throughout your "workout". This is, however, completely overlooking the range of motion on each rep (2 inches, maybe...). Here's the way I see it: take any other exercise you can think of (but please, for the sweet love of all that's holy, make it a semi-functional movement). Let's go with your standard barbell back squat, a movement that is as functional as functional could ever hope to be, and an exercise that any and all trainers worth their salt know to include in any weight training program.
Now, pretend you're in the gym warming up. You look over on the squat rack and see some musclehead reliving his high school football glory days doing quarter squats with only the bar on his back. You watch him go through his workout. He's cranking out these quarter squats quite fast, about one every second. He does 1,000 reps. Does that mean his movement is doing anything for him? Sure, doing 1,000 quarter-squats at a 60/min pace will make even the fittest athlete break a sweat. But does that mean that these criteria ("Dude, I did 1,000 reps" and "Dude, look how much I'm sweating") make his workout good?
I contend that it does not, on the simple basis that if he were to go through the entire range of motion with the barbell on his back and with the same intensity as he had been going before, 100 FULL squats would easily accomplish the same result (if not more so). More muscles get pulled into the move. More muscle fiber gets activated. Greater ROM = greater results.
Is the Shake Weight's ROM anything close to full? Hell no. Is the Shake Weight going to help you get in better shape? Hellllllll no. Is there a possibility that you'll break a sweat shaking this ridiculous excuse for a bumbbell? Hells maybe... Is there a 100% guarantee that you'll look, feel, and be foolish for using this glorified salt shaker? Yes, yes, oh 1,000 times YES!!!
For all of you wondering just what this damn thing might be good for, here's the hidden agenda of the men behind the Shake Weight design (warning: not really W/FS)...
*As a public service announcement, please, if you see somebody at the gym quarter-squatting, tell them to either go deeper or leave so you can squat to the proper depth.*
No comments:
Post a Comment