Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Weakness


My favorite lift is the Olympic clean. I don't care if its of the power or squat variety, I just know that I'm fairly proficient at them (even though I'm sure there's a million things wrong with my technique, should it ever be seriously critiqued), and that I like to do them. Same thing goes for deadlifting, jumping rope, and rowing. I can do them well, and I like to do them. The only problem is that I tend to program my workouts to my strengths, or at least to movements that are well within my comfort zone (box jumps, burpees, push-ups, etc.).

An amazing thing happens when you work on things that you suck at. All of the things you're good at (and probably like to do because you're good at them) improve along with your weaknesses. As the saying goes, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. You're the chain; what are your weak links?

For the next few weeks, I'm intentionally programming my workouts to work on movements that I don't do a lot of. Here's a list of my weaknesses that I've got lined up in my sights:
  • Pull-ups
  • Snatch
  • Squat technique
  • Overhead squats
  • Handstand push-ups
  • Ring dips
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

WOD 091229 Tuesday

Warm-up
S/S: Press 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 (finding 1RM)
WOD: *for time:
-50 Box Jumps
-50 Power Cleans, 135#
-50 Box Jumps
Finish: spend 5 min inverted in a handstand against a wall

No comments:

Post a Comment