Monday, January 4, 2010

Presidential Fitness

I got a little bored last night, and after stumbling around on the interwebs for a few hours, I came across a topic I feel worthy of putting up here: President Obama's workout regimen.



This article, written by ABC News in December 2008 (about a month after Obama was elected president), outlines how our Commander-In-Chief stays in shape. Six days each week, for about 45 minutes a day, Obama will alternate between cardio and weight training. Sprinkle in several rounds of basketball every week, and what does that get you? A man who inspires such headlines as "Obama's Body Shames American Public", and one of the fittest presidents in history.

I may not totally agree with his methods of working out as being the most time effective way for someone with arguably one of the busiest schedules on earth to maintain his level of fitness. However, I do love the fact that President Obama, more than any other president in my lifetime, seems to be placing a much needed emphasis on fitness, health, and nutrition that has been seriously lacking in the White House.

As one of the unhealthiest nations in the world, its about damn time we saw the first family set the example for the rest of the country, showing that being busy shouldn't be an excuse for not getting healthy. And here's a little fun fact for you: Michelle Obama is the first First Lady to plant a White House vegetable garden since Eleanor Roosevelt's victory garden during WWII (you can read more about that here). Inspiring. That's the only word I can think of when I read about stuff like this. I'll be putting up some other presidential fitness stuff in the near future.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

WOD 100104 Monday

Warm-up
S/S: Warm up with Thruster, working up to working sets of 135#, 2x5
WOD: *5 rounds for time of:
-15 Push-ups
-15 Hang Squat Cleans, 95#
Finish: Plank Progression (30 seconds each position: neutral, L arm up, R arm up, L leg up, R leg up, L arm/R leg up, R arm/L leg up, neutral)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

^ ^ ^ BURPEE CHALLENGE ^ ^ ^
Day #4

No comments:

Post a Comment