One of my many goals for this past year was to improve my cooking abilities. Unfortunately, me tapping into my inner Rachael Ray has happened far less often than I would've liked it to. What this means is that whenever I take the time to put a decent meal together, it becomes a big deal, something that I need to tell any and all who will listen. And of course, such an event is worthy of its own blog post here on WiscFit. So, as the title of this post may imply, here is my recipe for cooking up one of the simplest yet most delicious (and nearly 100% paleo) dinners I've had in a long time.
Flank Steak Salad

- 1 giant slab of flank steak
- leafy salad greens
- 1 green pepper
- salt and pepper (for steak seasoning)
- olive oil (not pictured)
- fish oil caps
- Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette salad dressing
- 1 bottle of red wine
- Let your giant slab of flank steak sit out and thaw to somewhere around room temperature.
- Prep your salt and pepper. I prefer to drown my steak in seasoning, but you can go lighter or heavier depending on your taste. A good rule of thumb is to mix equal parts salt and pepper. I just dump them both on a plate and flip the meat around in it until its covered.
- Pat your steak down and season your meat. I'm told that drying the steak serves some purpose. What that purpose is, I'm not exactly sure. I'll google it later... Now would also be a fantastic time to heat up your grill/pan/oven.
- Throw your steak on the grill and let it cook. How well done you want your meat cooked will dictate how long you keep it on the grill. Personally, I like mine well done and cooked all the way through.
- Throw some lettuce and chopped green peppers onto a plate. Drizzle on olive oil and salad dressing, and add pieces of cooked flank steak over the top. Pop some fish oil and enjoy a glass of your favorite vino (preferably red for the health benefits).
*Serves 1-2, plus delicious, delicious leftovers.
Really, that shouldn't have taken nearly as long for me to type out and explain as it did. Just cook a nice piece of flank steak and toss it on a salad. Doesn't get much more paleo than that, now does it?
Just as a quick aside, I'd like to thank Mark's Daily Apple for providing information on nearly every one of the ingredients listed above. If you want to know more about any of the ingredients, just go to MDA and type it into the search bar at the top of his site. You'll get more information than you could possibly know what to do with. To start you off though, here's a fantastic article on all things steak.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
WOD 101211 Saturday
Rest Day
No comments:
Post a Comment