I just spent the better part of the day snowboarding for my first time ever out at Tyrol Basin, out in Mt. Horeb, WI. Since I am thoroughly exhausted, I'm going to keep this post short and sweet tonight. For anybody who is thinking about trying their hand at skiing and/or snowboarding for the first time in their lives this winter, here is my newly acquired wisdom for you...
- Dress warmer than you think you'll need to be, especially in the head, feet, and hand regions. You will not regret erring on the side of warmth.
- Do not compare yourself to others on the hill. Doing so will only serve to frustrate and confound you.
- Wear knee pads. And elbow pads. And wrist guards. And hockey breezers if you've got em. Especially in Wisconsin, you're not snowboarding on snow so much as you're snowboarding on a sheet of ice with a thin, compacted layer of snow on top of it. Having said that, also embrace wearing a helmet.
- I've heard rumors that skiing is easier than snowboarding to pick up right away because of the greater degree of control you have over steering, balancing, stopping, etc. If you'd prefer to be decent at something quicker, go the ski route.
- Walking with one foot attached to a snowboard quickly becomes the most challenging thing you will ever do. And there's really no good way around it.
Having officially warned you, this was way too much fun not to take a shot at! And, bonus: it's one hell of a workout. Trying to stabilize yourself on a platform as it travels downhill is ridiculously hard to do if you've never done it before. Think of it like a person who can't swim falling into the deep end of a pool; they won't necessarily drown, but they're going to expend a hell of a lot of energy trying to keep themselves afloat. Same energy expenditure principles apply to snowboarding. It's late, I'm tired, peace out WiscFitters.

My swollen right knee after snowboarding. This is why rule #3 is, in my opinion, the most important of the aforementioned rules to follow. It should turn into one nasty bruise in the next few days. Picture proof will be posted once it develops...
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
WOD 101227 Monday
Warm-up
S/S: Max Double-unders, 5 attempts
WOD: Complete 2 rounds for time of:
-50 Goblet Squats
-100m Overhead Throws
-200m Run
Finish: MobilityWod of your choice.
WOD Results
Lauren- 15:23 (20# med ball)
Matt- 16:57 (53# KB)
Snowboarding is harder to learn but easier to be proficient at. I am a skier but snowboard in the midwest because skiing became boring without the additional challenge of racing or difficult runs.
ReplyDeleteput me down for a 6:32 Fran
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you are getting ideas from this article as well as from our dialogue made here.
ReplyDeleteAlso visit my web blog : get rid of static
My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was totally right.
ReplyDeleteThis post actually made my day. You cann't imagine just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!
My web page :: kumusta-ka.com
Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave
ReplyDeleteit to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear."
She placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside
and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!
Here is my website :: fctabuja.com
Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple
ReplyDeleteipad and tested to see if it can survive a twenty five foot
drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is
now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic
but I had to share it with someone!
My web site: web hosting companies
I visited multiple sites except the audio feature for audio songs existing at
ReplyDeletethis web site is really wonderful.
Also visit my web site - shopping comparison
My family members every time say that I am wasting my time here
ReplyDeleteat web, but I know I am getting knowledge all the time by
reading such pleasant articles or reviews.
Also visit my blog post coffee houses
I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i
ReplyDeleteam glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things, The web site style is great, the articles
is really nice : D. Good job, cheers
Here is my web-site: http://leanmuscleformulablog.com
Just wish to say your article is as astounding. The clearness
ReplyDeletein your post is just excellent and i could assume you are an expert
on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up
to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying
work.
My site scoreg.at
For hottest information you have to visit the web and on the web I found this web site as a finest web site for latest updates.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.mypeopleteach.com/users/Nannette3
my site - Max Thermo Burn Muscle