Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Programming

If it seems like there's no rhyme or reason to the workouts that get programmed on here, you're partially correct. Believe it or not, however, there is some method behind the madness. I figured I'd share a little bit of that methodology with you...
I'm going to be programming workouts on a "2-on, 1-off, 3-on, 1-off" (Mon-Tues-Rest-Thurs-Fri-Sat-Rest). Why? First, getting in five high intensity workouts a week is more that sufficient to get you into the best shape of your life. Second, the human body only really has the potential to hit three days worth of workouts hard in a row. If you go four days in a row with these high intensity WOD's, you will burn out. Or, at the very least, you'll only be able to contribute a less-than-optimal effort to the workout. CF training is all about keeping the intensity levels high, which means short duration and tons of effort, and as is the case with most things in life, if the effort isn't there, you most likely won't get very far.

You may have also noticed that the last week or so has been programmed with almost all metcon WOD's. The reason for this is threefold. First, I've recently discovered that I have very little endurance, and that two minutes into every workout, I'm sucking wind. I'd really like to get that up to 2.5 minutes. Second, the metcon WOD's I've been programming have some movements in them that I either suck at, or that I don't do very often. When you work on your weaknesses, amazingly, a lot of the things you're good at get easier to do as well. Third, the WiscFit gym is not designed to run multiple people through a single workout. I've had to get a little creative with the workouts in order to make up for the lack of equipment (only having one barbell makes programming a heavy day a bit more difficult).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Panjabi MC - Mundian To Bach Ke

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

WOD 100706 Tuesday

Warm-up

S/S: Snatch, 3x5
Overhead Squat, 3x5
WOD: Five rounds for time of:
-95# Power Snatch, 15 reps
-400m Run
Finish: Plank holds: hold the plank position for max time, repeat for a total of 3 sets. Hollow rocks: 30 seconds of hollow rocks, repeat for a total of three sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment