I recently came across this article from Wired.com, titled "Military Fitness Gurus Tell Troops: You're Too Flabby For CrossFit".
The article explains how the Army just revamped its PT program (for the first time in 30 years). The Army, after taking note of the growing trend of high-intensity fitness regimins being followed among their ranks, has decided to evaluate the safety and efficiency of programs such as P90X, Insanity, and (you guessed it) CrossFit.

The article goes on to explain how some miltary brass believes that programs like CrossFit are causing injuries because out-of-shape recruits following CrossFit are "doing too much, too soon, too fast. Participants need baseline strength and flexibility, and they simply aren't prepared". I'm going to go ahead and call shenanigans on whichever higher-ups hold this skewed perception of high-intensity exercise (namely CrossFit). My reason for calling shenanigans? Anyone, regardless of age, sex, body composition, fitness experience, genetic disposition, or the like, can safely perform CrossFit workouts. I'll explain exactly why in a bit...
Overall, it's a very interesting read, especially if you look at it from the viewpoint of someone who's looking to get in better shape, sees/hears about CrossFit, and is put off by it because they don't think they have an adequate baseline level of fitness to do the workouts. I swear that I've heard this idea from no less than a dozen different people in the last few weeks. "It's looks soooo hard! I'd have to get in shape just to work out with you guys!".
Let's take a second to analyze that statement. Basically, someone who says that is saying "I need to work out in order to work out," or "I need to increase my fitness/work capacity in order to increase my fitness/work capacity."
That's like a quarterback saying "In order to get better at throwing touchdowns, I have to throw more touchdowns". That's like an auto mechanic saying "I have to fix more cars in order to get better at fixing cars". Well, duh...
If you want to get in better shape, then increasing your level of fitness is kind of the point, isn't it? Why would you work out one way in order to start working out with all us CrossFitters? Why not just do CrossFit (i.e. the method that will get you in the best shape faster than anything else)?
The point is that anyone (yes, ANYONE) can safely complete a CrossFit workout. Don't believe me? Find an example or come up with a workout on your own that you could never in a million years complete. Give me about 30 seconds, and I'll give you a variation of that workout that is perfectly within your capabilities to finish.
Here's one example of a daunting workout, even for the most experienced of CrossFitters:
*Complete 5 rounds for time of:
-5 Muscle-ups
-7 Thrusters, 135#
-9 Handstand Push-ups
-5 Muscle-ups
-7 Thrusters, 135#
-9 Handstand Push-ups
A scaled version of that workout would look something like...
*Complete 5 rounds for time of:
-10 Pull-ups/10 Ring Dips
-7 Thrusters, 95#
-9 Handstand Push-ups (to a 4" mat under your head)
-10 Pull-ups/10 Ring Dips
-7 Thrusters, 95#
-9 Handstand Push-ups (to a 4" mat under your head)
Still think that's out of your skill/ability range? How about this even more scaled down variation:
*Complete 5 rounds for time of:
-10 Muscle-up Transitions
-7 Thrusters, 65#
-9 Elevated Push-ups
-10 Muscle-up Transitions
-7 Thrusters, 65#
-9 Elevated Push-ups
And here's another even more basic and distilled version of the initial workout...
*Complete 3 rounds for time of:
-10 Jumping Pull-ups/10 Jumping Bar Dips
-7 Thrusters, 33# Barbell
-9 Knee Push-ups
-10 Jumping Pull-ups/10 Jumping Bar Dips
-7 Thrusters, 33# Barbell
-9 Knee Push-ups
I can play this game all day. Show me an intimidating workout that you have no chance of finishing, and I'll give you a workout that's well within your level of fitness. So, who out there still thinks that CrossFit is over their heads?
I thought so.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Still looking for people to join in on the 19th Annual Literacy Network Run/Walk. So far, we're sitting a solid-but-less-than-stellar 3 WiscFitters (myself, Tori, and Matthias). There's gotta be a few more poeple interested in going for a nice leisurely morning stroll along Lake Mendota on Sunday, October 3rd... So voice your interest, people! Sign up now and support this most worthy of causes!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
WOD 100925 Saturday
Warm-up
S/S: 10 min Handstand work
WOD: Complete 5 rounds for time of:
-25/20/15/10/5 Squats
-25/20/15/10/5 Sit-ups
-10/8/6/4/2 Clapping Push-ups
-Handstand Hold, 30 seconds
Finish: Shake it out, stretch it out, do some sprints. 40m x 8 repeats, please.
WOD Results
Matt- 11:35
WOD: Complete 5 rounds for time of:
-25/20/15/10/5 Squats
-25/20/15/10/5 Sit-ups
-10/8/6/4/2 Clapping Push-ups
-Handstand Hold, 30 seconds
Finish: Shake it out, stretch it out, do some sprints. 40m x 8 repeats, please.
WOD Results
Matt- 11:35
Tori- 14:51
No comments:
Post a Comment